Carbon offset projects result in the avoidance, reduction, or removal of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the atmosphere. Eligible project types vary by jurisdiction.
Western Climate Initiative
Currently, California, Quebec, and Ontario are the jurisdictions participating in the Western Climate Initiative (WCI).
In Ontario and Quebec, protocols will set out the requirements for the following offset project types
- Landfill gas capture and destruction
- Organic Waste Digestion
- Organic Waste Management
- <N2O Reductions from Fertilizer Management
- Emission Reductions from Livestock
- Grassland (avoided conversion)
- Conservation Cropping
- Forest Conservation (avoided conversion and improved forest management)
- Afforestation and Reforestation
- Urban Forestry
- Ozone depleting substances capture and destruction
- Mine methane capture and destruction
- Refrigeration system upgrades or improvements
In California, the following project types are eligible for offset production.
- Forest Projects
- Urban Forest Projects
- Livestock Projects
- Ozone Depleting Substances Projects
- Mine Methane Capture Projects
- Rice Cultivation Projects
Alberta has a long list of offset project protocols. Visit Alberta Environmental and Parks webpage to see the full list.